Thursday, October 29, 2009

Welcome to one of our traditions!




It's great that you are interested in learning the traditional kolams (கோலம்) and rangolis of South India. These kolams are gifts from my beloved Mother to me. I started becoming interested in knowing more about house-keeping including traditional food and festivities after my induction into Sahaj Marg Meditation. This meditation has helped me understand the importance of our vedic roots and traditions. 




Drawing a kolam helps us maintain dexterity of fingers and of course, is an addition to our creativity. While drawing the kolam, our body stoops or we squat down, which are forms of Yogasana! And last but not the least, it has its own religious significance of auspicious entry into a home and also of letting only "good omen" into a home in front of which this is drawn. 


So brothers and sisters, help me in my endeavor to bring on the best of traditions through a small step as this!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! Would like to see more of smaller kolams.

    Poonam.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments here:

Followers